Bolognese Meat Sauce
A delicious meat sauce to serve with pasta. Normally made with minced beef, but you can change the meat to your favourite.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 clove garlic
- 12 oz minced beef
- 5 fl.oz red wine
- 14 oz tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 bayleaf
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 20 fl.oz passata
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the onions and cook gently for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in garlic. cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add beef to onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until all the beef is brown.
- Add wine, raise the heat and wait for the wine to evaporate.
- Stir in tomatoes and passata. Add herbs. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste.
This recipe is great to cook ahead of time, the flavour improves if left for a couple of days. It also freezes well.