10 oz (280 g / 2 1/2 cups) plain flour
3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
4-5 oz (110-140 g / 1 cup) fine white granulated sugar
8 fl oz (240 ml) milk
3 fl oz (90 ml) vegetable oil or 3 oz (85 g) butter, melted
7 oz (200 g) blueberries (or your choice of summer fruit) fresh or frozen – do not thaw frozen berries; larger-sized berries should be coarsely chopped
- Prepare muffin tins. Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, sift together: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. In another bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk, followed by oil/melted butter.
4. Pour all of wet ingredients into dry. Stir just to combine. The batter will be lumpy but no dry
flour should be visible. Gently fold in berries at the end, using only a couple of strokes to
avoid crushing the fruit.
5. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Frozen fruit will require an extra 4-5
minutes. Muffins are done when tops are lightly browned and spring back when pressed
From Muffins, Fast and Fantastic, Third Edition by Susan Reimer