1 lb (500 g) granulated sugar
1/2 pint (300 ml) water
1. Scrub the fruit. Cut into quarters and remove flesh. Simmer peel in a little water for 1 1/2 hours until tender.
2. Drain and make the liquid up to 1/2 pint (300 ml). Add 8 oz (250 g) sugar. Stir over low heat to dissolve and slowly bring to a boil.
3. Pour liquid over the peel and leave for 2 days. Drain the peel.
4. Add another 4 oz (125 g) sugar to the syrup. Dissolve, heat and bring to a boil again. Pour over peel.
5. The next day, drain peel and add the final 4 oz (125 g) sugar to the syrup. Bring to boil and pour over peel. Leave the peel in the thick syrup for 2-3 weeks.
6. Drain and place peel on a flat dish. Dry off in a warm place. Store candied peel in airtight jar.