8 oz (250g) (1 cup) white caster sugar
3 fl oz (100 ml) ( 1/3 cup) water
2 tbsp butter
6 oz (200ml) ( 3/4 cup) double cream
1 tsp of vanilla extract ( optional)
1. Prepare the caramel by placing the water in a thick-bottomed pan, adding the sugar and making sure it is evenly spread over the bottom of the pan.
2. Place on a medium heat without shaking or stirring the pan. Cook until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is clear.
3. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the caramel until it is an amber colour.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add the cream.
5. Add the butter now and stir everything together until the caramel is smooth.
5 Slightly cool. Serve over treat of your choice. Place any remaining in a clean/