8 oz (250g) caster sugar
1/2 pint (300 ml) water
1. Peel the rind from two oranges very thinly. Cut into narrow strips and plunge into boiling water for 5 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse in cold. Remove the pith and peel from all the oranges. Slice horizontally and remove any pips. Reassemble the layers of each orange and fasten together with a cocktail stick.
3. Put the sugar and 1/4 pint (150 ml) water in a saucepan. Dissolve over a low heat, and then bring to a boil. Boil until the syrup changes to a golden brown.
4. Remove pan from heat and pour in the rest of the water immediately, taking care that it does not splash. Heat again slowly to dissolve the caramel.
5. When cold, pour over the oranges and garnish with the orange rind.
From Sweet Success