4 oz (125 g) lightly salted butter, softened – plus extra for greasing
1 1/2 oz (40 g) vanilla caster sugar **
2 1/2 oz (65 g) soft dark brown sugar
4 oz (125 g) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
5 oz (150 g) chocolate (of your choice), cut into pea-size pieces
2 oz (50 g) chopped walnuts – optional
** Vanilla caster sugar is simple granulated sugar stored in a jar with two vanilla pods for flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and grease two baking sheets.
2. Cream the butter and the two sugars together until light and fluffy. Lightly mix the egg and gradually beat it into the creamed mixture.
3. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together and stir it into the mixture. Add chocolate and walnuts.
4. Spoon heaped teaspoons of the mixture onto the prepared sheets, leaving room to spread. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cookies are light brown.
5. Remove with a spatula while they are hot and place on any flat surface to cool. They will become crisp as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 36.