Olive oil for deep frying
Mixture of vanilla caster sugar and icing sugar for dusting
3 1/2 oz (1 cup / 100 g) self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 oz (1/4 cup / 55 g) butter, diced
3-4 eggs, beaten
- To make dough, sift flour and cinnamon onto a plate, or into a bowl, and set aside.
2. Gently heat butter in 6 fl oz (3/4 cup / 175 ml) water until butter has melted, then bring quickly to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and quickly add flour mixture in one go and beat vigorously until smooth.
3. Return to heat for about 30 seconds, still beating.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Gradually beat in eggs until mixture is a smooth, thick glossy paste.
5. Half fill a deep fryer or pan with oil and heat to 375 F degrees (190 C). Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with 1/4 – 1/2 inch (.5 – 1 cm) plain nozzle and pipe 3 or 4 lengths into the hot oil, forming them into rings, spirals or horseshoes; use a sharp knife to cut off mixture at required length. Fry for about 3 minutes, turning once, until golden.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel to drain. Keep warm while frying remaining mixture. Dust thickly with sugar mixture and serve hot.