Piadina – Italian Flat Bread
A delicious flatbread that is great for sandwiches while warm, you can cook them out on the grill as well, so a great bread for a barbequePrint Pin Rate
- 10 ml dried yeast
- 60 ml water
- 500 g white flour
- 10 ml salt
- 30 ml olive oil
- 250 ml carbonated water
- Sprinkle the yeast into the water in a bowl. Leave for 5 minutes; stir to dissolve. Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast and water, the oil, and 150 ml of the carbonated water.
- Mix in the flour. Stir in the reserved carbonated water, as needed, to form a firm, moist dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth, shiny, and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Knock back, then leave to rest for a further 10 minutes.
- Dived the dough into eight equal-sized pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece to form a round 6 inch (15 cm) across and 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. If the dough resists rolling out, leave it to rest for 1-2 minutes, then continue.
- Heat a heavy frying pan or griddle over a medium-low heat until very hot, about 10 minutes.
- Place one of the dough rounds in the hot pan and prick all over with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping it over frequently to avoid scorching and to aid even cooking, about 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining dough rounds as directed in step 7. Stack the rounds on top of each other and cover with a tea towel to keep soft and warm.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 658mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 4mg