1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, halved and sliced
3 1/2 oz or 2/3 cup (100 g) potato diced
1 carrot, diced
1 leek, sliced
1 green chili, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
1 liter (1 3/4 pints or 4 cups) vegetable stock
1 lb (450 g) mixed canned beans such as red kidney, borlotti, black eye or flageolet, drained
2 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro), to garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the prepared onion, potato, carrot and leek. Sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are lightly softened.
- Add the sliced chili and crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the ground coriander, chill powder and the vegetable stock.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans, season well with salt and pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the soup to a warm tureen or individual bowls, garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro) and serve.
From What’s Cooking Vegetarian