12 oz good quality dark chocolate, chopped
12 oz good quality white chocolate, chopped
1½ cups crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Create a double boiler by heating a shallow amount of water in a large stock pot and placing a large bowl over the pot so that no steam escapes. Make sure the bowl does not touch the simmering water below. (You could also melt the chocolate in the microwave by placing in a microwave-safe bowl and heating, stirring in 20-30 second intervals).
3. Add the dark chocolate to the double boiler and allow to melt. Once melted, pour over parchment paper and spread as evenly as possible with a spatula. Place tray in the freezer while you prepare the white chocolate.
4. Prepare white chocolate in clean bowl exactly as with dark chocolate. Add peppermint essential oils. After it has melted and is smooth, add half of the crushed peppermint and stir to combine.
5. Pour over the chilled dark chocolate and use a spatula to spread evenly. Spread as quickly as possible to avoid having the melted dark chocolate mix with the white chocolate.
6. Sprinkle remaining peppermint over the white chocolate topping.
7. Place back into freezer for 30-45 minutes to allow to fully harden.
8. Once completely hardened, remove from freezer and break into small pieces with your hands.
9. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.