- 8 oz 200 g flour
- 1/4 pint 125 ml ice-cold water
- 8 oz 200 g margarine or butter
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour and salt.
- Rub in 2 oz (50 g) of butter or margarine.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add the water and lemon juice and knead well into a smooth dough in the shape of a ball.
- Relax the dough in a cool place for approximately 30 minutes.
- Cut a cross half-way through the dough and pull out the corners to form a star shape.
- Roll out the points of the star square, leaving the center thick.
- Knead the remaining 6 oz (150 g) or butter or margarine to the same texture as the dough.
- Place the butter or margarine on the center square which is four times thicker than the flaps.
- Fold the flaps.
- Roll out approx. 30 x 15 cm ( 1 x 1 1.2 ft), cover with a cloth, rest for 5-10 minutes in a cool place.
- Roll out approx. 60 x 20 cm (2 x 2/3 ft), fold both ends to the center, fold in half again to form a square. This is one double turn.
- Allow to rest in a cool place for approx. 20 minutes.
- Half-turn the paste to the right or the left.
- Give one more double turn, allow to rest 20 minutes.
- Give two more double turns, allowing to rest between each. Allow to rest before using.