A delicious cookie that has a hint of ginger, Smarties in the UK are like M&M’s in the USA, feel free to change the ginger to cinnamon and the toppings to your favourite.
Print Pin Rate
0 from 0 votes
Course: Dessert, Snack
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 4 oz margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup/cane syrup
- 12 oz self-rising Flour
- 8 oz Demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons ginger optional or add cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 oz porridge oats/oatmeal
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tubes of smarties/M&M’s about 100 candies!
- Melt syrup and margarine together.
- Add the beaten egg and dry ingredients and mix into a smooth dough.
- Make into 2 inch balls, flatten slightly and place well apart on a well greased baking tray.
- Press 6 smarties onto each cookie and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
You can keep the colours of the smarties in the theme of the party or occasion. Ginger is a lovely spice but feel free to change this to a spice you enjoy.