1 lb (450 g) strawberries
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
5 1/4 fl oz (150 ml) double cream or heavy whipping cream
1. Wash and hull the strawberries. Dry them thoroughly with kitchen paper then put them in a food processor or blender with the sugar.
2. Set the machine in motion and add the balsamic vinegar through the lid or funnel. Continue to blend until the ingredients have combined to a smooth purée, then pour this into a bowl.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. The sugar and vinegar will bring out the flavor of the fruit.
4. When ready, combine the strawberry purée and cream and either still freeze or start the ice cream machine. Pour the mixture into the machine. Leave to churn until the ice cream has the consistency of softly whipped cream.
5. Quickly scrape into plastic freezer boxes and cover with waxed or greaseproof paper and a lid. Label and freeze for 1 hour or until firm enough to serve. If frozen solid, allow about 20 minutes in the fridge to soften for serving.