125 mg (4 1/2 oz) rice
2 tsp vegetable oil
200 (7 oz) skinless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
1 carrot – cut into matchsticks
1 small red pepper – deseeded and cut into strips
½ tsp finely grated ginger
1 garlic clove – chopped finely (I love 3 garlic cloves)
100g (3 ½ oz) drained, canned pineapple, chunk in juice
2 spring onions (scallions) – sliced thinly on the diagonal
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
For the Sauce:
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
1. Cook the rice according to pack instructions. Drain and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, mix all the sauce ingredients together in a jug with the pineapple juice and set aside.
3. Heat a wok with the oil. Dip the chicken pieces in the soy sauce and then coat with cornflour.
4. Add to the hot oil in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turning until golden and just cooked. Set to the one side.
5. Add the carrot and peppers to the pan and cook for 2 minutes to soften slightly. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Tip the sauce into the pan, stir for 1 minute, until bubbling and everything is glossy.
6. Add the chicken, pineapple chunks and spring onions and heat it all through. Serve with the rice. (I love brown rice :))
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min