- 12 medium sized apples
- 6 oz 150 g golden syrup
- 12 oz 300 g light brown soft sugar
- 1 oz 25 g butter
- 1/4 pint 150 ml water
- 1 tsp 5 ml vinegar
- Wash and dry the apples thoroughly. Remove the stalks and push a wooden skewer into the stalk end of each apple.
- Put all the other ingredients into a large, heavy saucepan and stir over gently heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and cook briskly until 290 F degrees (143 C) or until a drop in cold water will snap cleanly.
- Dip each apple into the toffee and twist to coat completely. Dip in cold water to set on outside and stand the apples on a greased tray.
- *** Toffee apples should be wrapped if they are not going to be eaten immediately as toffee goes sticky on expire to the atmosphere.
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes