For the pastry:
8oz (225g) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
4oz (110g) butter, chilled, diced
1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
For the filling:
1lb (450g) golden syrup
3oz (85g) fresh breadcrumbs
generous pinch ground ginger
1 lemon, zest, finely grated and 2 tbsp of the juice
1. In a bowl, rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in the egg with a knife, then knead on a clean, lightly dusted work surface to form a smooth dough.
3. Use the dough to line a 23cm/9in loose-bottomed tart tin, prick the base all over with a fork and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
5. Line the pastry with parchment paper and weigh down. Bake the pastry for 10-15 minutes, remove the paper and return the pastry case to the oven for a few minutes more, until light golden-brown.
6. For the filling, mix together the filling ingredients in a bowl and pour into the pastry case. Return to the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot or cold with clotted cream or double cream.